SCOR/LOICZ WG 132
Land-based Nutrient Pollution and the Relationship to Harmful Algal Blooms in Coastal Marine System
Co-chairs: Patricia Glibert (USA) and Lex Bouwman (Netherlands)
Other Full Members: Adnan Al-Azri (Oman), J. Icarus Allen (UK), Hans Dürr (The Netherlands), Paul Harrison (China-Beijing), Jorge A. Herrera-Silveira (Mexico), Sandor Mulsow (Chile), Sybil Seitzinger (USA), and Mingjiang Zhou (China-Beijing)
Associate Members: Arthur Beusen (Netherlands), Richard Gowen (UK), and Rencheng Yu (China-Beijing)
Terms of Reference
- Integrate the existing IOC-HAB database and nutrient loading databases into a compatible GIS format.
- Advance the development of a GIS coastal typology database.
- Interrogate the above databases for relationships between HAB species, nutrient loading/forms/ratios, and coastal typology and develop broad relationships between nutrient loading and distributions of specific HABs.
- Explore possible changes in HAB occurrences in the future (year 2030), using the relationships developed above (3.) and global nutrient export patterns under the Millennium Assessment scenarios for 2030.
- Publish the results of these analyses in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Papers will be developed on 1) the global perspective, including the next generation of global nutrient and HAB maps; 2) regional highlights; and 3) individual case studies. We will also develop articles for the GEOHAB newsletter and for the GEOHAB and Global News websites, and a graphic-rich report (under the GEOHAB umbrella) that will be targeted for management.
Approved: August 2007
Financial Sponsors: NSF, SCOR, LOICZ, IOCAS
28-31 July 2008 in
#2: 13-16 October 2009 in Beijing, China
#3: 25-29 October 2010 in Crete, Greece
- Bouwman, A.F. et al. 2011. Global hindcasts and future projections of coastal nitrogen and phosphorus loads due to shellfish and seaweed aquaculture. Reviews in Fisheries Science 19(4):331-357.
- Bouwman, L., A. Beusen, P.M. Glibert, C. Overbeek, M. Pawlowski, J. Herrera, S. Mulsow, R.C. Yu, and M.J. Zhou. 2013. Mariculture: significant and expanding causeof coastal nutrient enrichment. Environmental Research Letters 8(4), Article Number 044026, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/8/4/044026.
- Bouwman, A.F., A H.W. Beusen, C.C. Overbeek, D.P. Bureau, M. Pawlowski and P.M. Glibert. 2013. Hindcasts and Future Projections of Global Inland and Coastal Nitrogen and Phosphorus Loads Due to Finfish Aquaculture. Reviews in Fisheries Science 21:112-156.
- Glibert, P.M. 2010. Long-term changes in nutrient loading and stoichiometry and their relationships with changes in the food web and dominant pelagic fish species in the San Francisco Estuary, California. Reviews in Fisheries Science 18(2):211-232.
- Glibert, P.M., J.I.Allen, Y. Artioli, A. Buesen, L. Bouwman, J. Harle, R. Holmes, and J. Holt. 2014. Vulneribility of coastal ecosystems to changes in harmful algal bloom distribution in response to climate change: Projections based on model analysis. Global Change Biology 20:3845-3858, doi: 10.1111/gcb.12662.
- Glibert, P.M., J.I Allen, A.F. Bouwman, C.W. Brown, K.J. Flynn, A.J. Lewitus, and C.J. Madden. 2010. Modeling of HABs and eutrophication: Status, advances, challenges. Journal of Marine Systems 83:262-275.
- Glibert, P.M., R. Maranger, D.J. Sobota, and L. Bouwman. 2014. THe Haber Bosch-harmful algal bloom (HB-HAB) link. Environmental Reseach Letters 9, doi: 10/1088/1748-9326/9/10/105001.
- Harrison, P.J. et al. 2011. Geographical distribution of red and green Noctiluca scintillans. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology 29:807-831.