SCOR Working Group 146
Radioactivity in the Ocean, 5 Decades Later (RiO5)
Co-chairs: Ken Buesseler (USA) and Minhan Dai (China-Beijing)
Other Full Members: Michio Aoyama (Japan),
Claudia Benitez‐Nelson (USA),
Nuria Casacuberta (Switzerland),
Sabine Charmasson (France), Pere Masqué (Spain),
Paul Morris (Monaco),
Deborah Oughton (Norway), and
John Smith (Canada)
Associate Members: Roberta Delfanti (Italy), Gary Hancock (Australia), José Godoy (Brazil), Kathryn Higley (USA), Andy Johnson (USA),
Vladimer Maderich (Ukraine), Williard Moore (USA), Sandor Muslow (Chile),
Reiner Schlitzer (Germany), and
Jordi Vives i Batlle (Belgium)
Terms of Reference
- Combine and build upon existing global and individual databases of natural and artificial
radionuclide distributions to make an user friendly and easily accessible on line product.
- Summarize and publish review papers on these global radionuclide datasets and provide examples of how these can help improve our understanding of ocean processes and contaminant fate and transport.
- Identify gaps in scientific knowledge in relation to radioactivity in the marine environment.
- Bring together academic, nuclear industry and national laboratory expertise for an international symposium on radionuclides in the ocean.
- Provide a warehouse of education materials to assist in the education and training of the next generation of marine radiochemists and radioecologists.
- Develop tools to enhance public understanding of radioactivity, in particular in the ocean.
Approved: September 2014
Web site: http://www.whoi.edu/CMER/rio5-working-group
#1: 15-17 July 2015 in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA
#2:5-7 June 2016 in Xiamen, China (training workshop 7-10 June 2016)
#3:9-11 August 2017 in Aix‐en‐Provence, France