SCOR Working Group 147
Towards comparability of global oceanic nutrient data (COMPONUT)
Co-chairs: Michio Aoyama (Japan) and E. Malcolm S. Woodward (UK)
Other Full Members: Susan Becker
(USA), Karin Bjorkman
(France), Claire Mahaffey
(UK), Hema Naik
(India), Raymond Roman
(South Africa), Bernadette Sloyan
(Australia), and Toste Tanhua (Germany)
Karel Bakker (Netherlands), Minhan Dai (China-Beijing), Andrew Dickson (USA), Akiharu Hioki (Japan), Alex Kozyr
(USA), Akihiko Murata (Japan), TaeKeun Rho (Korea), Sophie Seeyave (UK), Jonathan Sharp (USA), Winnie van Vark (Netherlands), Takeshi Yoshimura
Terms of Reference
- To establish mechanisms to ensure comparability of oceanic nutrient data in collaboration with International organisations such as ICES and PICES.
- To assess the homogeneity and stability of currently available RMs/CRMs: The group needs to determine whether the current producers are achieving a level of precision within and between laboratories which is comparable to or better than 1 %.
- To develop standardized data-handling procedures with common data vocabularies and formats, across producers and users, and will include the future linking of national and international data archives. The group will seek to involve international data center representatives to contribute to and lead this task.
- To promote the wider global use of RM’s by arranging workshops to actively encourage their use, and to provide training in analytical protocols and best practices, including sample preservation protocols, particularly targeted towards developing countries.
- To continue regular global inter-comparison studies, following on from the previous exercises in 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2012, with collaboration of IOCCP-SSG and RCGC-JAMSTEC.
- To update the GO-SHIP nutrient measurement manual, which was originally a product of the IOC-ICES SGONS, (Study Group on Nutrient Standards).
- To publish reports on this WG’s activities and workshops.
Approved: September 2014
Financial Sponsors: SCOR, NSF
#1: 14-15 April 2015 in Vienna, Austria
#2: 23-24 September 2016 in Qingdao, China
#3:14-15 February 2018 in Portland, Oregon, USA
Flyer for SCOR-POGO Nutrient Workshop (5-9 Nov. 2017, Texel, The Netherlands)
Comparability of oceanic nutrient data - Poster Cluster Committee Whitepaper, CLIVAR OSC 2016
WG 147 Posters from CLIVAR Open Science Conference