SCOR/UNESCO WG 78
Determination of Photosynthetic Pigments in
Chair: R.F.C. Mantoura (UK)
Other Full Members:
R. Dawson (USA), D. Rapeta (USA), W. Gieskes (Netherlands), Y. Halim (Egypt), Shirley W. Jeffrey (Australia), Synnove Liaaen-Jensen (Norway), Clarice Yentsch (USA), and N. Welschmeyer (USA)
Terms of Reference
- To critically evaluate the accuracy of historical data and of existing methods for the determination of photosynthetic pigments in seawater, including an appraisal of the SCOR/UNESCO spectrophotometric procedures published in 1966 and their intercalibration in the 1978 evaluation (UNESCO, 1980) for the determination of chlorophylls and their breakdown products in relation to novel chromatographic techniques.
- To evaluate extraction conditions and storage requirements prior to analysis of individual component chlorophylls, their breakdown products and accessory pigments.
- To evaluate and recommend the simplest high performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) system for ship-board or field-based determination of chlorophylls a, b, c and their principal degradation products.
- To provide advice on the establishment and provision of reference chloropigments, carotenoid and phycobiliprotein standards for calibration of HPLC-fluorescence or absorbance methods.
- To evaluate procedures for the extraction and determination of phycobiliproteins, recently identified as important constituents of phytoplankton in marine water.
- To relate and intercompare measurements of individual chlorophylls and their breakdown products to in situ fluorescence recordings and remotely sensed colour imagery.
Financial Sponsors: SCOR, UNESCO
Product: Determination of Photosynthetic Pigments in Seawater